• Question: How could we test bee's? Because they don't understand English

Asked by Sammy17 to Pizza on 9 Nov 2019.
    • Photo: Pizza Chow

Pizza Chow answered on 9 Nov 2019:

Hi Sammy17,
      Haha, I also wish a bee or any non-human animals could speak to me 😀

To understand animal mind and their behaviour, we could design some learning tasks that have two different colours, shapes, patterns (we call this as ‘stimuli’). Of these two stimuli, one will be rewarded and another will not be rewarded (you have to remember which one is rewarded so that you can give your participants the reward when they answer correctly).

We have to repeatedly presenting a set of two stimuli at the same time to a bee (or other individuals) and record whether the choice that the bee makes is ‘correct’ (rewarded stimulus) or ‘incorrect’ (non-rewarded stimulus). After 10 or 15 times of presentation, we will get the data point like ‘correct, incorrect, incorrect, correct, incorrect, correct, correct, correct, correct, correct’.

With a few more bees, we can get a preliminary result that of bees’ learning ability.

does it sound interesting to you?

Pizza